Types of Luxury Alcohol Treatment Center
Americans are drinking more than ever. In fact, a 2017 study published in JAMA Psychiatry found that 1 out of every 8 Americans struggles with alcohol abuse. The number is rising at a steady amount, and the study suggests the importance of “destigmatizing these conditions and encouraging those who cannot reduce their alcohol consumption on their own…to seek treatment” from professional resources, like alcohol treatment centers. There are more stages between casual drinking and alcoholism than most people think – and often, it can even take years for someone to progress from one stage to the next.
In May 2013, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) combined the two categorizations of abnormal alcohol use (alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence) into one diagnosis: Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD). While this term is the new official designation, the term alcohol abuse is more frequently used, along with alcoholism and alcohol addiction.
These are the signs of AUD, as specified by the American Psychiatric Association:
- Drinking more or for more time than intended.
- Feeling unable to decrease the amount of alcohol consumed.
- Drinking so much you feel ill for an extended period of time.
- Alcohol cravings so strong they become a distraction.
- Slipping performance at work or school and an inability to care for family.
- Continuing to drink despite the above issues.
- Decreased participation in the activities you care about.
- Finding yourself in unsafe situations due to drinking.
- Continuing to drink despite depression, anxiety, blacking out, or alcohol’s negative effects on existing health problems.
- Finding you need to drink more due to increased tolerance.
- Withdrawal symptoms.
An individual’s AUD can fall into one of three classifications: mild (2 to three of the above symptoms), moderate (4 to 5 symptoms), or severe (6 or more symptoms). If you’ve recognized a number of these signs and realized that your excessive drinking is negatively impacting your life, it’s time to seek help. While many people attempt getting sober alone – a process we do not recommend, as it can be very difficult and dangerous – or attending occasional Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, many more decide participating in a more structured rehabilitation program is the only way they’ll truly be able to overcome addiction and start anew. It also can serve as a solid base when moving forward into outpatient rehab, as sometimes going to outpatient rehab without being in inpatient rehab first could prove difficult for most people, since alcohol is so readily available the best way to begin anew is to break away from it. There are two main types of alcohol rehab treatment:
Outpatient Alcohol Treatment
- Outpatient alcohol treatment is a viable option for people who have chosen to treat their addiction while still living at home and tending to daily responsibilities like work, school, and family. Outpatient rehab is a good idea for individuals who have developed a drinking problem but aren’t yet physically addicted to alcohol. Many of these drug rehab programs will include medically-assisted detox, alcohol counseling sessions, and daily group therapy sessions, but will be less intensive than inpatient programs. When researching outpatient facilities, it’s a good idea to keep your search within a reasonable distance from your home, as it can be necessary to visit the facility every day – especially in the beginning of your treatment.
Inpatient Alcohol Rehab
- Choosing inpatient alcohol rehab is the best idea if you’ve developed a physical addiction to alcohol; if, after a short period without alcohol, your body reacts negatively. At an inpatient rehab, you’ll be recovering in a safe, controlled environment with professional supervision onsite. Every treatment center handles inpatient rehab differently, but most programs will start with an intake assessment followed by detox, individual therapy sessions, group therapy sessions, and a number of therapeutic activities. While the average stay is 30 days, most alcohol treatment centers offer programs going up to 90 days. How long you’ll need to stay in rehab will depend on your case – the severity of your addiction, the existence of any co-occurring mental disorders, and whether you’ve been to rehab before will all factor into how much time you should invest.
We recommend asking the following questions when selecting an inpatient facility:
- What types of treatments are offered? Learn which programs the facility favors so you can determine whether they’re right for you. Ask if they offer dual diagnosis or dialectical behavior therapy.
- What’s the daily routine?
- You want to know whether you’ll be comfortable, so find out what your average day will entail and how much freedom you’ll have.
- Is treatment personalized?
- Do not attend a program that doesn’t offer individualized treatment plans. Each client and addiction is different, and the rehab center should be open to trying numerous approaches and adapting along the way.
- Is treatment success measured?
- While statistics on relapse and recovery rates are difficult to prove, find out as much as you can about patient satisfaction. Do your research. Speak with former clients, if you can.
- How does the program address relapse?
- Relapse is a very common part of the recovery process, and you need to know what to expect if it happens to you.
WHAT MAKES LUXURY TREATMENT SPECIAL
There are many ways to get sober and many factors will affect which type of path you take. Individuals who choose luxury alcohol rehab often do so because they’re not just looking for a way out of their addiction – they’re ready for a rejuvenating, life-altering experience. Clients of luxury rehab centers are often professionally successful, powerful, and accustomed to a certain lifestyle – and they don’t want to compromise comfort during their recovery.
Luxury rehab centers boast features that less upscale rehab centers cannot. In fact, many of these elegant facilities could easily be mistaken for expensive hotels. Amenities can include plush bedding, beautiful décor, private rooms, saunas, and swimming pools. The staff will be well accustomed to working amongst the affluent and can include yoga instructors, personal trainers, acupuncturists, massage therapists and five-star chefs committed to serving you delicious, healthy meals.
While the aforementioned perks certainly serve to better the experience of clients, it’s the quality of care that really sets luxury rehab apart – and this especially comes through with individualized treatment plans. When you arrive at a luxury rehab, you’ll meet with a trained professional who will get to know you and evaluate your individual needs. It’s worth mentioning that although it’s gained popularity in recent years, individualized treatment hasn’t always been common in rehab. In fact, it got its start in Malibu and was even coined the “Malibu Model.” This approach evaluates each person’s personality, history, physical and mental health, current and past substance abuse and overall goals in order to create a specific, targeted treatment plan. According to an interview with Dr. Mark Willenbring, formerly of the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse, “People with a chronic form of addiction need multimodal treatment that is individualized and offered continuously or intermittently for as long as they need it.” Having a detailed treatment plan that’s based around the specifics of your addiction gives you a far better chance of overcoming it.
Not all treatment centers offer clients one personal therapist who will work with them throughout the entire rehab process, but if you’ve chosen a facility that does you’ll find it very beneficial. Luxury rehab facilities often take on fewer clients for a lower client/therapist ratio, and therefore the care you’ll receive will be more personalized. (For example, we keep our ratio at or under one therapist for every five clients.) Highly trained, fully licensed psychotherapists will see you through every step of the process, and you can feel confident in the fact that you’re never alone.
Different rehab facilities in California use different approaches, but we’d advise finding a facility that places focus on evidence-based treatment which can include anything your personal therapist deems useful for your specific case, from equine therapy to interpersonal neurobiology treatment. We’ve found the Stages of Change model to be particularly effective, as it focuses on getting the addict to a point where they actually want to change. This process includes five stages – Pre-Contemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, and Maintenance – and by the time a patient has worked through each stage with the help of therapists, they will have transcended the need for alcohol.
Many luxury rehab centers place a focus on holistic health – that is, the condition of a human being rather than merely the status of his or her addiction. While your recovery is the most important thing and much of your days will be spent directly working through your issues in therapy sessions, you’ll also find a lot of other activities that will help you create a stronger overall sense of well-being. Physical activities such as hiking, surfing, horseback riding, yoga classes and/or workouts will help your body heal along with your mind. Many clients at upscale facilities participate in daily Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Reiki, and guided meditation exercises.
Another way that luxury programs shine is in the detox process. It’s not uncommon to fear to detox but remember: it’s only a small part of your journey and will be over before you know it. Luxury drug rehab centers strive to make your detox as comfortable as possible. Overseen by medical professionals, your personalized detoxification plan will be treated as a medical procedure, gently weaning you off alcohol while minimizing negative reactions. Once your body is cleansed by detox, you are physically prepared and mentally primed for the therapeutic work to come. It’s worth noting that there are currently three FDA-approved drugs for curbing drinking and avoiding relapse. Naltrexone (helps people reduce heavy drinking), Acamprosate (makes it easier to maintain sobriety), and Disulfiram (blocks the body’s ability to metabolize alcohol, causing unpleasant symptoms such as nausea and flushing of the skin which encourage individuals to refrain from drinking).
Cost of Luxury
The top-quality care you’ll receive in these facilities does come at a cost – but it’s nothing compared to the damage alcohol addiction can do to your mind and body, and the cost of medical and/or legal bills should your alcohol abuse have a fatal or legal impact. It’s also very possible your insurance company will be able to cover some or all of your treatment. This is thanks in large part to the Mental Health and Addiction Parity Act of 2008, which requires insurance companies to consider mental health as physical health in group health plans. Click here or call 424-320-3061 to speak with an insurance specialist who can determine whether your medical insurance provider can cover your treatment at Cliffside Malibu. We accept most insurance policies (PPO) with the exception of coverage provided through a health plan or federal/state/local government program.
ABOUT CLIFFSIDE MALIBU
When you’re choosing a rehab center, you’ll find that some of the best Southern California treatment centers are located in Malibu, California – and this is particularly true if you’re looking into luxury rehab centers. Founded in 2005 and located on “The Rehab Riviera” in the wealthy community of Malibu, California, Cliffside Malibu has been described as an oasis – and that’s not surprising. Malibu boasts some of the most beautiful beachside facilities in California, making it the perfect location to escape from the clutches of your addiction and focus on your recovery.
Residents are within walking distance of pristine Zuma Beach and greeted each morning by breathtaking views of Southern California coastline. The beautiful beach house our clients call home is set in an idyllic spot for soul-searching, and we’re dedicated to maintaining our reputation as one of the finest alcohol treatment centers in Malibu. A recent client testimonial reads, “Aside from the amazing staff, I couldn’t imagine a more perfect setting to get your life back on track.” Ready to do just that? Contact us today and get one step closer to clean living.