Drug Rehab Program
Your son or daughter has a drug problem. You’ve already faced the anger, and the denials, the lies, the arguments even the violence. Maybe you have tried family counseling and or an outpatient drug rehab program, but the situation of substance abuse in teens can be very different then that in adults. While outpatient drug rehab programs have proven effective for the adult abuser and some adolescents, according to experts a residential drug rehab center is on of the surest paths to recovery for teens. A teen who has gone down the slippery slope to addiction, most likely got there from the negative influence of a peer group, and they need to be removed from that environment for effective drug rehab to take place. Also a residency drug rehab program is designed to tackle the core issues that may have lead to the drug abuse in the first place as well as have a staff of professionals that can address behavioral and emotional disorders that often coincide with substance abuse in teens.
Drug Rehab Facility
Once you have reached the difficult decision that a residential drug rehab program is right for your child, what next? First up take a deep breathe and realize that this is a good decision, your teen will finally be getting the help he or she needs. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, a significant gap exists between the number of adolescents who need drug treatment and those who actually receive it. Only one-fourth of teens aged 14 to 17 needing such care actually obtain it. Also, know that while there is bound to be some resistance at first, even resentment – your teen will learn to appreciate the love and support they are getting from you. Getting a teen into a drug rehab facility will improve his or her life both today and into adulthood. So now the question becomes how to find the drug rehab facility that is right for my teen. To narrow down the choices get several recommendations from your healthcare provider, your teen’s counselor, or school advisor, then it is recommended you follow these guidelines:
- Ask about the drug rehab facility’s accreditation – Do not even consider a drug rehab center that lacks basic accreditation. It should be state licensed by the Department of Health, and accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- Consider Costs: While a whole discussion can be applied to costs of a drug rehab program and how to pay for them, here are the basics – check if the drug rehab center accepts medical insurance, most do and if you have coverage check with your insurer if you are covered for drug rehab. Get a comprehensive list of all costs so there are no surprises, ask what is covered and what is not covered, and find out what if any scholarships and or financial assistance may be available.
- What is their philosophy of drug treatment? – Make sure it matches with you own personal philosophies and your child’s. Experts agree that the most effective drug rehab programs will be those in which you the parent take an active role. It is imperative that you and the counselors are on the same page philosophically.
- Does the drug rehab program treat adolescents only, or are adults housed in the same location? Research shows that the most effective teen drug treatment occurs when they are removed from adult programs.
- Choose a location that is nearby, again to be effective you are to be an active participant in the drug rehab program, so you do not want to choose a drug rehab facility that is too far away, and as your child’s program progresses he or she may be allowed home on weekends.
- Find out how long is the average stay in the drug rehab facility
- Ask to see records on successful results and drop out rates
- Ask to speak to other parents who have had kids go through the drug rehab program
- And finally be sure to visit the grounds of any residential drug rehab facility before taking your child there, don’t be afraid to ask questions of the staff and of the residents during your visit.
Drug Rehab Center
When you have narrowed down your choices of drug rehab centers, the next consideration is what can I expect in terms of drug treatment in the residential drug rehab center? While all drug rehab centers are different and in fact even within a drug rehab center tailor made to the needs of the individual teenager, there are some basics you should expect of all drug rehab centers. Any drug rehab program will likely start with detoxification. Medical detoxification safely manages the acute physical symptoms of withdrawal associated with stopping drug use, but medical detoxification is only the first stage of addiction treatment and by itself does little to change long-term drug use. That’s where the other techniques come in. Again depending on the nature or philosophy of the particular drug rehab program these will be a program of therapy sessions group and one-on-one, and activities designed to raise self esteem, teach respect for oneself and the community, and modify negative behaviors through praise and positive reinforcement. Some drug rehab centers may include outward bound or wilderness programs and animal therapy, both of which have been shown to be very successful for young addicts in recovery.
Residential Drug Rehab Program
Residential drug rehab programs have been proven effective for teens and adolescent abusers. In fact according to a recent study published by The American Psychological Association –“ most teens with serious behavioral or emotional problems that have not responded to other treatments, such as individual or group therapy, medications and psychiatric hospitalization – improve during treatment at a private residential drug rehab program.” But perhaps these words of a father whose child recently went through such a residential drug rehab program sum it up best “I am so happy that we found help for [John] but in reality our whole family has been positively affected by his treatment. We talk to one another and are learning to listen. Both my wife and I have decided to enter individual therapy to address our own issues. If [John] can risk growing, we can, too.”
When you recognize harmful patterns and seek treatment, you can increase your chances of leading a healthier life. Cliffside Malibu is here to support you in your search for an alcohol-free life. We believe you deserve to have a private, comfortable and luxurious environment as you navigate your journey to a sober life. Our center allows you to explore your mental health needs, creates a treatment plan that is unique to you and allows you to discover beneficial coping skills. To learn more about alcohol treatment at Cliffside Malibu, call (855) 403-5641.