Ten Ways to Refresh without Taking a Vacation
Sometimes, it’s just not possible to get away for a week or two to relax and rejuvenate. You may not have the time or money, or you may simply have too many obligations to get away. Here are ten things you can do to refresh without taking a vacation.
- Take a Long, Soaking Bath – A long bath can rejuvenate the body and relax the mind. Make sure that the kids and your spouse leave you alone. Even a half-hour soak will make a tremendous difference in your mood.
- Get a Massage – A massage will invigorate and relax you at the same time. Many massage parlors have specials, if expense is an issue. If you can’t afford a full-body massage, try a foot massage at a nail salon.
- Take a Hike – Many studies suggest that getting out into a natural setting and walking has a host of benefits to mind, body and spirit. Take advantage of the natural settings in your local area and get active outdoors.
- Enjoy a Beach or Lakeshore – If hiking is not your thing, why not enjoy a picnic at the beach or on a lake? There are city, state, and local lands that are open to the public for little or no cost.
- Ride a Bike – Physical activity is good for us on every level. A bike ride can be a healthy outing for the whole family.
- Enjoy a Well-Cooked, Healthy Meal – Healthy, delicious food eaten in a relaxing setting can have important restorative benefits. This meal does not have to be expensive. Grilling a piece of fish and making a delightful salad can be more inviting than eating out. Eat a light meal that makes you feel good about yourself.
- Play with Your Dog at the Park – Pets love us unconditionally. Take your dog for a walk or a game of fetch. The love your dog shows you will make your day and help you relax. Getting outdoors will be good for you too.
- Have a Long Talk with a Friend – You know that long-time friend you’ve wanted to talk to, but haven’t found the time for? Give him or her a call. Don’t text. The sound of your friend’s voice, their jokes, and the memories you share will lift your spirt.
- Take Up a New Hobby – Is there an activity you’ve wanted to try, but haven’t had the time? Do you want to try fencing or learn how to can the vegetables in your garden? Try something new and get involved in an activity that gives you a sense of accomplishment.
- Volunteer – If you’re feeling down, nothing will invigorate you more than volunteering to help those in need. Walk dogs at the animal shelter. Serve food to the homeless. Help build a home for someone in need. Using your skills to help others less fortunate will help you to be grateful for all that you have.