As you work toward transforming your life, be nice to yourself. There are so many ways to do so. One inexpensive, soothing, aroma-filled way to nurture your mind, body and spirit is with coconut oil.
In his book The Coconut Oil Miracle, Bruce Fife, ND reviews the extensive studies that have been done on this wonder oil. Coconut oil has been shown to help control blood sugar, boost the thyroid, and aid digestion by helping absorb fat-soluble vitamins. It’s filled with antioxidants that benefit cardiovascular problems and aging skin.
Coconut oil is composed primarily of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs.) As Fife says in his book, “Eating foods containing MCFAs is like putting high octane fuel into your car. The car runs more smoothly and gets better gas mileage. Likewise, with MCFAs, your body performs better because it has more energy and greater endurance.”
You can find coconut oil in natural food markets and these days in most supermarkets. Buy organic when possible. Here are some suggestions for how to use coconut oil in your daily life:
- Coconut oil is heat stable, making it suitable for cooking at high temperatures. In addition, it doesn’t produce free-radicals upon heating like other vegetable oils do
- Apply to skin before and after showering. It’s a marvelous moisturizer especially for winter dry skin.
- Apply to cuts and bug bites.
- Massage into hair for a conditioning treatment. Leave in as long as possible, then shampoo as usual.
- Use as a makeup remover.
- Add 1 teaspoon to smoothies.
- Eat a spoonful with each meal to improve digestion.